Thursday, April 25, 2013

Fish Hariyali/Hirwa Masala


I am trying to cook healthy dishes these days.. yeah I am undoing 31 years of eating! I wish there was a delete button for that. Ofcourse I have enjoyed every bite of food till date but I wish good food was not fattening or I was inclined to work out everyday!
So I decided to make chapati and fish hariyali masala or hirwa masala. I remember eating this at Chakra at Saki Naka (Bombay) they make the best fish green masala, I guess that's what they call it! Even Bharat Excellency at Fort (Bombay) makes it well.. they make it with crab meat I guess that is my favorite dish there. Slurp! I am salivating inspite of having a tummy full of this green goodness ;)

Ok so I made this without any coconut. Traditionally you add coconut milk or grind fresh grated coconut. I added spinach instead to give the gravy a good texture.

1 Pomfret cleaned and sliced (or any white fish)
1 bunch spinach
1 tomato roughly chopped
1 onion chopped
1 bunch cilantro/coriander leaves, cleaned and chopped
4-6 mint leaves (optional)
1 tbspn ginger-garlic paste
1green chilli broken into 2 pieces
1/2 tsp Jeera/cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp tandoori masala or malwani masala
1 tsp garam masala (use half in spinach mixture and half on top of the fish once done)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
 oil
salt as per taste

Rub some turmeric and salt on the fish pieces and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds when it sizzles add onions fry for a bit. Then add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the onions are brown. Now add tomatoes fry and add all the dry spice powders and mix well. When the tomatoes are soft add spinach, green chili, cilantro leaves and mint and mix till it wilts.
Once this is cooked turn off the stove and let this cool down. Once the mixture is cool enough grind to a smooth paste. Add very little water only if needed.
Now heat the same pan add the spinach paste give a good stir add some hot water about 1/4 cup mix well. Now add the fish pieces cover and cook.
Adjust salt. Add some garam masala and mix gently.
Serve with roti or rice.

Note:
If you want to add coconut milk add around 1/2 cup once the spinach paste is heating before adding the fish pieces.
If using fresh coconut add it just before grinding the spinach paste.
I didn't have malwani masala so I added tandoori masala instead.
If you don't have tandoori or malwani masala you can just use red chilli powder and garam masala



1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜‹

    ReplyDelete