Monday, May 13, 2013

Quinoa Pulao

I am literally starving while typing this post. Though I have a plate of this delicious and healthy quinoa pulao ready but its piping hot so I have to wait for it to cool down a bit. I bought few packets of quinoa from Trader Joe's. The one that I used in this pulao is a mix of white and red quinoa.

Quinoa is a grain packed with proteins and is native to south America. It's a good substitute to rice.
Usually I make a salad out of it but today I thought I should give it a desi tadka and make an Indian version of it.

So I went ahead and made some quinoa pulao packed with Indian spices..here goes the recipe..

2 cups Quinoa (Soaked in warm water for 20 mins and drained)
1 onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1/2 cup peas
whole garam masala (1 bay leaf, 4 peppercorns, 1 small piece cinnamon and 1/4 tsp whole cumin)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
1tsp oil


Heat oil in a kadai/wok once hot add the whole garam masala when they sizzle then add the onion and garlic and fry till brown. Now add the tomatoes and all the dry powders and mix well till the tomatoes are soft. Now add the peas and mix well and and the drained quinoa. Mix well so all the masalas coat the grains. Add salt and 3 cups hot water cover and cook for around 20 mins or till quinoa is cooked.
Fluff with fork and garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves.

Note:
You can add other veggies like corn, carrots, potatoes etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment