Monday, May 27, 2013

Grilled Cajun Fish


We have been walking and trying to eat healthy. The walking part is not a challenge, eating healthy is! I am not a diet food fan and I need my meals to be tasty. I am fond of spicy food so I thought a combination of spices and fish will be a tasty and healthy idea. I looked through my freezer and found a packet of Mahi Mahi fillets. Mahi Mahi is a white fish from the pampano dolphin fish family. It is not dolphin and not related to the dolphin family according to wikipedia. I guess it is a Hawaiian fish and it is pretty expensive.
So I defrosted the fish while I attended to other chores and decided to grill the fish and serve it with steamed veggies. I had a bunch of Chinese broccoli at hand which my hubby is in love with so I decided to steam it.

I had a big bottle of Tones Cajun Seasoning which interestingly my aunt back in India had introduced me to. She used it as a marination for frying pomfret (a sea fish found in India). My MIL, mom  and sister love it too so I end up taking bottles back to India when I visit. Cajun is the name for Louisiana style cooking which is spicy and has some French influences as well. Cajun seasoning is a blend of herbs, garlic, hot peppers (cayenne, paprika), black pepper and salt.

Ingredients:

4 Mahi-Mahi fillets or any firm white fish
1-2 tsbpn Cajun Seasoning or more if you want it spicier
PAM's olive oil spray or few drops of olive oil
1 lime (juice)

Defrost fish fillets and wash and dry them with a kitchen towel.
Now in a bowl put the fillets and coat them with the Cajun seasoning. Make sure all the fillets are coated well. Keep aside for 15 mins and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Now drizzle some olive oil or spray it on the fillets and on a baking pan lined with foil. Place the fish on the foil and place the pan in the oven for 20-22 mins or until the fish is cooked. Broil for a min or two for a crispy fillet.
Squeeze some lime juice and enjoy.

Note:
If you can't find the Cajun seasoning just marinate the fillets with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, black pepper, red pepper flakes and salt.
The seasoning already has salt so I didn't add an more but taste your seasoning before using it and add salt according to your taste.
You can use the Cajun seasoning with turmeric powder and some red chili powder and marinate any fish then coat it with semolina or rice flour and fry it. This is the Indian way of frying fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment