Thursday, April 11, 2013

Homemade Paneer




My husband is in India hence I have not been cooking much. I eat salads or grilled food and I am happy with that; atleast for few weeks. We had a huge bottle of milk in our fridge and I don't drink milk or coffee. I am a tea drinker hence I hardly consume any milk. The expiry date was close and I was wondering what could I do with it. Ofcourse I was not going to throw it away or make any dessert as I am avoiding sugar and fried food.
So I thought the best thing to do is make some paneer out of the milk. I had about a little more than a litre of milk.

Once ready the paneer was so fresh and soft (after cooking) I just grilled it with some salt and ate it just by itself.

So here goes the recipe:

1 litre milk (I used 2% fat milk)
Juice of 1 lime

Cheese cloth/muslin cloth (I used paper towels/Bounty kitchen towel as I didn't have cheese cloth)

Heat milk on medium heat. Make sure it doesn't burn. When the milk boils and rises add the lime juice. You will see the milk curdling and the fat and the whey separating. Turn off the gas.
Let it completely curdle about 5 minutes.
Now drain this through a thick layer of cheese cloth or kitchen paper towel. I lined a big colander/strainer with the paper towel and drained.
Collect the cheese cloth together and tie it /with the paper towel just collect it together and twist well. Press it so that the excess whey is drained.
I collected the whey in a bowl. Run some tap water on top off the paneer (still wrapped in the cloth and press). I have been told this will remove the sourness if any from the lime juice. To be honest I have forgotten to do this a couple of times. It doesn't matter if you are using the paneer in a gravy as the spices will overpower the sour taste. Even when I grilled it there was no sour taste.
Now you can tie and hang this on your kitchen tap and let the whey drain completely. Since I had my paper towel in a colander/strainer I rested it on a big bowl and kept some weight (chickpea cans or any cans or kitchen appliances) on this towel so the whey drains off completely.
This will take about an hour or little more.
Now open the cloth/towel and you will see your perfect paneer ready to be cut. You can cook this immediately or keep it in the refrigerator in a zip lock bag or wrapped in plastic wrap for 3 days.

Note:
You can use the whey to make roti's or bread. This is very nutritious as all the fat is gone in the paneer. The roti's will be very soft.

2 comments:

  1. Using tissue papers instead of a cheese cloth is a wonderful idea! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deepali. Make sure you use enough layers.

      Delete