Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blackeyed Peas & Potato Curry

Everytime we go to the Indian store we almost raid it like there is a famine coming. Our pantry is full of  Indian groceries like lentils, beans, rice, etc. etc. I always forget to cook any beans unless my hubby reminds me that he wants to eat any particular dish. So today I thought I should take a look at the pantry and the freezer. So I found this big bag of black eyed peas lying in there staring back at me! I love blackeyed peas and wondered why haven't I used it until now.

I looked again for some veggies and found a potato, few onions, tomatoes and cilantro/coriander leaves. So I thought I should make black eyed peas pulao and I was all set and started my pulao and I ran out of salt in the middle of the curry. I had to literally scrape it out and use the last grain of salt. So instead I settled in for black eyed peas & potato curry and steamed rice instead of the pulao. So it would also be good for hubby's lunch box the next day. It's almost the same dish only I didn't mix the rice and the curry as I didn't have more salt to add once I mixed both.

So here goes my recipe

2 cups Black eyed peas (cooked and drained)
1 potato cubed into small pieces
1 big tomato chopped
3tbspn cilantro/coriander leaves chopped
ginger one small piece minced
3 cloves garlic  minced
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp Jeera/cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
whole spices/garam masala (2 cardamons, 4 cloves, 4 peppercorns, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds)
1 tsp or more oil
Salt as per taste

In a wok/cooking pot/kadai heat some oil. Now add the cumin seeds and the other whole spices. When they sizzle add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry till the onions are brown. Now add the tomatoes and 1 tbspn cilantro and mix well. Add the dry powders and mix well. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and you can mash it with the back of a wooden spoon. Now add the potatoes & 1 cup hot water and mix well cover and cook till they are soft. Once the potatoes are cooked add the cooked and drained blackeyed peas. Add some water if you want more gravy. Mix well. Adjust salt.
Garnish with cilantro.
Serve with steamed white rice or with chapati/roti's

Note:
If using dry blackeyed peas soak it in water for alteast 4-5 hours and then pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles in fresh water or cook it in a pot till the beans are cooked but not mushy.
You can use canned or frozen ones too. If using these you can directly add it after the potatoes no need to cook separately. They will cook fast in the curry.
You can also add 1/2 cup coconut milk if you want a creamier gravy to eat with rice or bread.







No comments:

Post a Comment