Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spinach & Kielbasa Noodles with Angel hair pasta


I love to try new dishes. So today I took on the challenge of making dinner with what is available in my kitchen without running to Wal-mart or the farmers market.
So I opened my fridge and aimlessly gazed through; trying to convince myself that my challenge was stupid as I had not gone grocery shopping over the weekend.
I found a big packet of baby spinach and 1 small turkey kielbasa. (Kielbasa is a polish sausage and it is very tasty. It is made with pork, beef or turkey or a combination of all 3).
Then I dragged my feet to my pantry and found some garlic and a packet of whole wheat angel hair pasta. I was not in a mood for any pasta with a creamy sauce and hubby is not too fond of tomato based sauces (not that I had any tomatoes here).

So I decided to try my hand at making some Asian noodles with all the ingredients I had. I immediately reached out for some soy sauce as well and headed towards the cooking area.
The end result was a yummy and interesting noodle dish. This dish was healthy too (if I may say so) with all that whole wheat pasta and spinach.. the only unhealthy part may have been the sausage but it was made out of turkey so I guess it was not as bad!

1 packet whole wheat Angel hair pasta
2- 3 cups baby spinach (washed)
1 cup Turkey kielbasa sausage chopped into small pieces
4 cloves garlic chopped
2-4 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1 tbspn Olive Oil

Heat a pan add a few drops of olive oil and stir fry the sausages till they cook and keep aside (drain on a kitchen towel). The sausages don't need much oil as they will let out some fat.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and mix some olive oil and keep it ready to be used.
Now in the same pan which was used for cooking the sausages add some olive oil and the chopped garlic and fry. Then add the spinach and stir fry. I didn't wilt my spinach a lot as it was baby spinach which tastes good even if consumed raw but if you are using regular spinach cook it well. Now add the cooked sausage and mix. Add the soy sauce start with 2 tsp depending on how salty your soy sauce is or how strong a flavor you want.
Now add some pepper powder and the cooked angel hair pasta. Toss it well.
Serve.

Note:

I didnt add any other herbs or spices as I use a mushroom flavored soy sauce which has a good flavor. I have made the same with regular soy sauce and it still tastes great.
Also the kielbasa gives a good flavor.
The pasta needs to be tossed in some olive oil and covered if you are keeping it for sometime before adding it to the spinach mixture so it doesn't dry out.
Feel free to add any spices of herbs you feel like using.
You can make it vegetarian by omitting the sausage and adding few other veggies of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment