Saturday, March 16, 2013

Palak Paneer


I am very fond of non-veg food as mentioned earlier in my posts. I can just go on eating non-veg for days but I am trying to now eat veggies more. I am even thinking of eating meat only on weekends (ugh! that's gonna be tough!).
So we got some fresh spinach/palak from the farmer's market and I had some paneer in the freezer so hubby wanted me to make palak paneer.
My mom makes it so well. I miss her cooking. I never cared for it much while I was back in Bombay as I got to eat it everyday..while everyone else would crave for it. Now I crave for it ;(

When I was newly married I decided to make Palak paneer at my in-laws house in Bombay and I had to call my mom for the recipe as I didn't know how to cook. I followed her recipe to the T and the dish was a hit.
I don't remember all the ingredients my Amma had told me to add back in 2008 but I make it often and everytime its almost the same recipe I follow (as much as I can remember).

2 bunches Palak (washed well and ends trimmed)
1 cup paneer cubes
I onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
2 green chillies
few sprigs of cilantro (optional)
1 tsp Kasuri methi (optional)
3-4 cloves garlic cut into pieces
1 small piece ginger cut into pieces
2 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp corriander pwd
1/2 tsp garam masala/Everest meat masala (can add more)
oil

In a kadai add oil when it's hot add cumin seeds, cloves and let them splutter. Then add onions, garlic and ginger pieces and fry till onions turn golden brown. Now add the chillies and chopped tomatoes mix well and cook till tomatoes are soft. Add the spinach leaves and let them wilt.
Now turn off the gas and let this mixture cool. Once cool grind it with the cilantro to a smooth paste (don't add water).
Now back in the kadai add the paste, add the corriander powder and garam masala and mix well. Let the mixture boil. Add salt and slide in paneer pieces. Cook for 5 mins till the paneer cooks and turn off gas.
Serve with Roti's or with pulav.

Note:
Sometimes I dont grind the onions just fry them and add them to the spinach & tomato paste.
I added Kasuri methi and cilantro for the first time today and it turned out great.
Some of my friends fry the paneer pieces before adding them, if you plan to fry you need to soak the fried pieces in warm water till you use it. This will keep the paneer soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment