Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fish curry with raw mangoes - Kerala Ishtyle!

Oh! Fish is my first love among all the non-veg food. I love fish in all forms..I love the smell of raw fish! My best friend back in Bombay is half Mallu and when I visit India I go to her house for dinner. She makes the best kerala mutton sukkha and fish curry.
I love the Kerala style fish curry with raw mangoes, they make the same with prawn too. Yum! I am already drooling. I am typing this post while I wait for hubby to get home and have dinner. I made this fish curry this afternoon. By now all the flavors must have blended!

My friend G sent me the recipe last night so I made sure I had all the ingredients. I had bought raw mango and fresh pomfret (fish) from the farmer's market few days ago to make this curry.

1 pomfret (cleaned, washed and sliced into pieces - you can use any firm white fish)
1 raw mango/kairee cut into medium sizes pieces
1 chopped onion
1 cup coconut milk
2 green chillies
1 tsp ginger (chopped into pieces)
1/2 tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
5 tsps corriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 shallot chopped into small pieces (optional)
10 curry leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp tamarind paste (or tamarind soaked in hot water and pulp squeezed out)

 In a small pan heat oil. Add the methi and coriander seeds and fry. Make sure you don't burn them it's easy to burn them, trust me! Now grind this with a little coconut milk, turmeric and red chilly powder, garlic and the tamarind paste.

In another pan take some water and add the chopped raw mango pieces and chopped onion and boil it till the onion becomes translucent and the mango becomes soft. Now add the coconut paste to this. Mix well. Add the slit green chillies, ginger and salt. Add the remaining coconut milk. Once this comes to a boil add the fish pieces.
In the small pan that you used to fry methi add some coconut oil and fry shallots and curry leaves and pour on the fish curry.  
You can also just boil the curry leaves and add a dash of coconut oil directly to the curry instead of frying.
Keep for few hours before serving with steamed rice and tapioca/kappa (will post recipe soon).

Note:
You can use freshly grated coconut/frozen coconut instead of the coconut milk.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Shilpa,
    My MIL had makde this dish and I had loved it.So, wanted to try and cook it myself. Thanks for the recipe.
    I will be trying to make this dish over this weekend.
    I will let you know how it turns out.

    Thanks,
    Amita

    ReplyDelete