Sunday, March 31, 2013

Guacamole


I am not a big fan of Mexican food but I do like some dishes. I guess I should say I am not a big fan of Tex-Mex as hubby says Mexican food in Mexico is awesome! He lives in Mexico every year for three months during summer for his research work and he loves it there. Every August when he gets back he cooks some authentic Mexican meal for me. I must say I love what he cooks so I can't wait to go to Mexico and enjoy some authentic Mexican food & Margaritas on the beach.

One of my favorite dips/salads is guacamole. I first tasted it when Kartick made it for us on his first visit back to India from the US in 2007. I wanted to make it for my sister, bro-in-law and friends. Then I had no clue about cooking so I was excited and headed off to the market in Bombay. I got only 2 avocados as they were super expensive, being an imported product.
I came home and cut it open and scooped out the pulp and proceeded to make the salad. Oh! I was so confident that I didn't even taste it till it was ready to be served at the dinner table. To my horror (of course I was unaware of the basics that the avocado needs to be soft/ripe!) I had picked out two raw ones and I made everyone eat it. My family and friends were sweet enough to taste it but never reached out for another helping or had the courage to finish what was in their plate ;)
I am surely going to make this for them on my next visit.

So here goes my guacamole recipe and mind you its good ;)

2-3 Avocados
1 tomato chopped
1 onion chopped (I dont like onion in mine but if you like raw onions go for it -tastes good)
2 tbspn Cilantro/Coriander leaves chopped
1 small green chilli chopped (optional)
2 tbspn Juice of lime (juice of 1 lime)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Salt as per taste

Cut the avocados and scoop out the pulp using a spoon. Keep the seeds/pit aside.
In a bowl add the pulp and mash it with the back of a spoon. Now add the chopped tomato, onion, chilli, cilantro, cumin powder, salt and juice of lime and mix well.
Place the seeds in the middle  of the salad and refrigerate till you serve.
Serve with chips as a dip or can be eaten as a side dish.

Note:
The seeds/pits are inedible so please don't eat them
The seed is placed so that the salad doesn't go brown and maintains its nice green color. Avocado (like apples and few other fruits & veggies) changes color when exposed to air due to oxidation.
Avocado salad is similar to our Indian kachumbar/salad

No comments:

Post a Comment