Thursday, November 1, 2012

Jeera Rice




We live in a college/University town hence we have potlucks often. I love to cook and I am expected to cook Indian food ofcourse. This is one rice preparation that is simple and a hit with any chicken curry especially butter chicken or simple dal fry. Some of my friends just eat the rice by itself as it has it's own flavor with all the ghee and whole spices.

So here goes the recipe for Jeera rice

Ingredients:

2 cups rice (Basmati)- washed and soaked in water for 20 mins
whole spices (1 tsp Jeera, 2 bay leaves, 1 small piece cinnamon, 1 petal star anise and 2 pods of cardamom, 2 cloves and 2 pepper corns)
2 tblspn Ghee
salt as per taste
4 cups hot water

Method:

Heat a pan add ghee when its hot add the spices starting with Jeera. When the spices sizzle add the rice after draining all the water out. Fry for a minute then add some salt mix well. Now add hot water.Cover and cook for 20 mins till rice is cooked.
Serve with Dal/chicken curry/veggie curry.

Note:
1)This is a tip from my mom to add hot water to rice dishes as it ensures the rice grains cook well and grains are separate and they don't get mushy. I swear by it! ;)
2) You can only use Jeera and skip the other spices (that is how actually Jeera rice is made) but I like my Jeera rice with the flavor of other whole spices as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment