Sunday, December 9, 2012

Kala Channa Usal (Stirfried spiced black peas/beans)




Usal is a common dish at any amchi household and till I came to the US I didn't think it was anything special. Now I crave for my mom's simple mung/matki/channa usal. Kala Channa Usal is something I love this can be had like a snack or with roti's or rice.
I prefer to eat it by itself and since the time I came to the US this is a standard preparation at our house every year for Ganesh Chaturthi prasad.

Its easy, simple, tasty and very nutritious.

Ingredients:

2 cups Black channa (you can even use garbanzo beans) washed and soaked overnight or atleast for 4-6 hours
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
6-8 Indian curry leaves (Kadi patta)
1 tsp or more grated ginger
1-2 green chillies slit length wise
1 pinch hing/asafoetida
1/2 tsp sugar
salt as per taste
oil
Fresh or frozen Grated coconut for garnishing

Wash the soaked channa and pressure cook or boil with fresh water and some salt for 1-2 whistles till soft (it shouldn't be mushy).
In a wok/kadai heat oil when hot add the mustard seeds, kadi patta, grated ginger, hing and green chillies. Fry it well but make sure it doesn't burn. The oil should absorb all the flavors. Now add the channa and mix well cook for 5 mins. Adjust salt and garnish with grated coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment